Meta title and meta description - SEO best practices
What is a meta title?
Meta name title is an HTML markup element that briefly describes the essence of the displayed page. It is also called the page title. This tag is taken into account by search robots when ranking the issue. It is not displayed directly on the site, but is displayed on the browser tab, as well as in the SERP snippet.
How to write the title correctly?
- Correct title = higher CTR in search results than competitors;
- First, only the most frequent word or phrase;
- In the first 55 characters, use the most frequent words;
- Never make a title in isolation from the semantic core;
- Always correctly distribute pages depending on key queries;
What should the title be?
The optimal title size in Google is 45-65 characters, which allows you to effectively use key phrases and additional text.
Use our tool to optimize page titles and descriptions.
Why optimize titles? If the title of your page does not match any of the possible search queries, you will not receive traffic, or it will not be targeted. Find search queries that best match the content of the page.
For this you need:
- add a site to our system (in the site header on the desktop version there is a form - GET Full SEO Audit )
- after the site is completely crawled (5-10 minutes, depending on the amount of pages), go to the page "All not empty titles"
- see snippets for each page of your website as they appear in Google search
- click on the title to open the keyword suggestion tool
- select page language and click "Get keyword ideas"
- get a list of possible keywords for a given page with frequency and competition scores
Choose as long search terms as possible for titles, as well as some spellings (or individual words that are often used in a large number of requests) can be used in the description - but be sure to add a unique component, your competitive advantage or brand name. Fill in the Title/Description field to check the length (the field should be 90-100% filled, but no more).
Copy the result to your CMS before closing the prompt window. (It is possible to integrate with your CMS (saving the result to your database via api) - upon request $).
ATTENTION: Search engines take into account the relevance of page titles and descriptions to content, therefore - do not use words that are not in the page content when compiling titles and descriptions (especially at the beginning) . Pages with completely inappropriate titles and descriptions will not be included in the search index.
Our free tool allows you to quickly check the relevance of the title and description to the content - on-page SEO checker.
How to write a good title?
The title is required for each page and must be unique. Avoid generic titles. The title should be short but descriptive. Use keywords without bigotry.
How to fill in keywords correctly?
Key phrases in the keywords tag must be separated by commas with a space. The number of requests should be small, the content should be fully consistent with the theme of the page. Do not use repetition of words.
What to write in the title tag?
The title tag is an HTML element used to specify the title of a web page. Its main task is to tell visitors and search engines what to expect from visiting a web page (as briefly as possible).
How to write Description correctly?
Recommendations for compiling a description:
- The optimal length of the description text is from 80 to 160 characters with spaces.
- The tag should describe the content of a specific resource page.
- Specify the most important information by placing keywords at the beginning of the tag.
- Description should not repeat title.
- Should be written for people and describe competitive advantage.
- It should contain a call to action and arouse interest.
How to correctly fill in the keywords meta tag?
How to fill meta keywords tag:
- The content of the meta tag for each page must be unique.
- Use no more than 2-4 key phrases for one page.
- Separate them with commas, do not write in continuous text.
- Do not use general phrases, for example: "kitchen, order, buy, city."
How to check meta tags on a website?
The easiest way to check meta tags is to use the SEO analysis service, which not only checks the presence and length of these tags, but also matches the content of the site.
What META tags affect website traffic?
Title and Description meta tags (“title” and “description”) are important elements of SEO promotion, which are designed to describe the page content in a structured way. They are necessary for further identification of the page in the search results and its evaluation by search robots.
What does a meta tag look like?
Title tag. The title meta tag is the title of the web page. It must appear on all pages of the site. In the search results, the title is displayed as a large blue link, and when you open the page, it is visible in the title of the browser tab.
Why tags should not be duplicated on the site?
The fact is that the title is very often displayed in the search results along with the content of the description tag, so it is clear that they should not be duplicated, but should reveal and complement each other's meaning.
The title tag must be different from the description and h1 tags, and they must be unique for all pages of the site so that the search engine does not guess which of several similar pages to show in the results.
What section are META tags in?
Meta tags (from English meta tags) are elements (html tags) of a web page used to convey structured metadata, usually placed in the ... section of a web document.
What should the URL be?
Golden Rules for URL Formation
- avoid using parameters in links (/?product=123);
- say no to links that are too long, no more than 60-120 characters;
- use the names of sections and products in links;
- repeat the site structure hierarchy /category/brand-model/;
- do not use Cyrillic /%D1%81%D0%B0%D0%B9%D1%82/;
- use "-" instead of "_" to separate words in links;
This is all you need to know about the key parameters of search engine optimization of your pages - meta tags. To learn more content recommendations for links and multimedia and micro markup for your site, you can use our page analysis tool.
Did you like the material? Share the link!